Let me first start with an apology. Lo siento! There is no reason (except overwhelming business) to keep you guys in the dark about recent THH developments. Pardon my radio silence, even in the face of an epic amount of attention brought by a certain design*sponge post. If you didn’t see from my recent tweets (which I just learned weren’t showing in my sidebar), I was in Austin last week to celebrate my sister’s marriage! Although she’s halfway across the country, my family was able to plan all sorts of activities and events including a bridal shower, an important BBQ visit and more. Yeehaw.
One of the tasks I assigned myself was to create a Love Mixtape. Little known fact: I was a debutante my senior year of high school and as a result absolutely DETEST most event DJs. That includes weddings. I figured that if I was going to make it through this, there better be high doses of delightful lovey-dovey tunes hand picked with a certain amount of discretion. My friends were good sports and sent numerous examples of their favorite love songs.
Between making salted citrus caramels, packing a travel cooking kit and taking pains for personal beautification, I updated, tweaked, and expanded the mix to its current glory. As a reformed music biz professional, I know better than to post the whole thing in its entirety as a download but thought that you may already have a majority of these tunes in your music library. Bold songs denote favorites you should download! When I can, I’ve linked to the songs around the web. (UPDATE: wow, The Hype Machine had them ALL!)
A Love Mixtape: for F&S
- First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes
- All is Full of Love by Death Cab for Cutie
- H in New England by Mac Richter (From an instrumental piano album that is worth the purchase)
- Not Going Anywhere by Keren Ann
- Heartbeats (A Knife cover) by Jose Gonzalez
- Anyone Else But You by Moldy Peaches
- Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros (amazing new musician)
- All I Want by Barry Louis Polisar
- This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody) by Talking Heads
- The Look of Love (Part 1) by ABC (from one of my top 5 albums of all time, excellent and VERY 80s)
- All I Want is You by U2
- Heart of Chambers by Beach House
- The Book of Love by The Magnetic Fields (from the greatest collection of love songs ever, 69 Love Songs)
- Can’t Help Falling in Love (An Elvis cover) by Ingrid Michaelson
- Make You Feel my Love (A Bob Dyland cover) by Adele
- Row by Jon Brion (instrumental track from the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind soundtrack, which is all fantastic)
- More Adventurous by Rilo Kiley (my favorite love song, get the whole damn album)
- If This Ain’t Love (Don’t Knw What Is) by Nicole WIllis & The Soul Investigators
- Sea of Love by Cat Power
- The Luckiest by Ben Folds
- 3 Rounds and a Sound by Blind Pilot
- I Will Follow You Into the Dark by Death Cab for Cutie
Wow, TWO Death Cab songs? What was I thinking?? Speaking of love and Ben Gibbard, we finally sat down to watch (500) Days of Summer last night. It left me in a strange mood, mainly that of dissatisfaction. But as the Mr. pointed out, that was kind of the point.
Let’s hear it, do you have any favorite love songs that I missed? Did a certain Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt movie leave you sour on Los Angeles love?
(PS I also made a sexy mix featuring the likes of R. Kelly, Ludacris, Color Me Badd and CSS. Are you interested in that playlist too?)